Wednesday 2 February 2011

You don't have to BLOG everyday to keep it alive

No Blog for the last months. as I have been a little tied up of late.

My Grandad died recently, I did try and Blog about his last few weeks but I struggled quite a lot to try and find the words. Unusual for me...
However, once he died, I put together a poem which I read yesterday at his funeral.

So this post is dedicated to my Grandad, Terry West.

Funny Grandad

Is Grandad still driving in Heaven?
Its just a little thing I'm wondering.
And also
Did Grandad really shoot rabbits?
And pheasants?
And while I'm at it. Did he actually catch that big fish that hung above the fire place in the cottage. And whatever happened to that anyway?
I don't know.

I believe he did.
I imagine its true.
I wish I'd asked him.

In my mind, I can see him with a shotgun in hand
Poised patiently
Waiting in the woods,
Hunting for dinner.

I can see him standing by the river bank,
Wrestling that enormous pike on to dry land,
Then holding it aloft, while other anglers come and take pictures of his victory.
I can see it happening.
I imagine its true.

I'm not sure if there are cars in heaven
Or if your even allowed to drive up there
But the thought of it makes me smile.

When I think of Grandad,
Funny Grandad,
I remember a proud, strong, independent Man,
A practical man
A man who loved his family
A man who took his responsibilities seriously
And a man who lived life the way he chose

Right up until the end.

We'll miss you Grandad.
I'll miss my sporadic visits to the wilds of Norfolk to see you.
And everytime I see a brace of pheasants,
A rabbit,
Or a wall mounted fish.
Or a (badly driven) car
I'll think of you



No comments:

Post a Comment