Tuesday 19 April 2011

Taking 5 minutes+ Game of Thrones

The sun is shining, I've eaten my porridge, and now taking 5 minutes out from life to update my much neglected blog.

Currently Kate Adie's autobiography is killing my reading. I mean I like the book, really I do! Its fascinating, and interesting and everything.

Just a really slow read....

However.... A quick recommedation...

The Game of Thrones (Songs of Fire and Ice), George RR Martin

Its been years since I read this, probably 5 or more....
However this is the most brutal fantasy series you are likely to ever read, with some of the best and harshest characters you will ever read about.

This is epic reading, that pulls no punches at all. The Lannisters are truly vicious, the Starks are completely flawed heroes, and everyone betrays everyone. Great Writing, absorbing, just not for the faint hearted.

So, last night I watched episode 1 of the TV adaptation on Sky Atlantic.

I watched with some trepidation... I hated the TV versions of the Terry Pratchett stuff - they just lacked the speed and the comedy of the books, feeling like an over laboured attempt at TV fantasy.

Would Game of Thrones be the same? Well.... um... I don't think so. It followed the story well, didn't seem too cheesy ( although Cat seemed older than I expected from the books) and the characters seemed to be well represented. As I watched the story came flooding back, and i increasingly felt sorry for all the characters as they emerged. None of them have much fun ahead of them. Especially not the children....

I'm sticking with the series - first viewing looks positive - and I enjoyed it. Could be the next best thing on TV. Still - if your easily offended, I would leave well alone.

Interestingly the books haven't been finished yet... I've been waiting for some years for this to come to an end... Maybe this year will see it written..


No comments:

Post a Comment